Who needs a bartender when you can replace him with a vending machine! Japan is loaded with amazing vending machines — and in this episode, John travels with a JR Tokyo Wide Rail Pass from Tokyo to Echigo Yuzawa to sample a lot of Niigata’s best sakes from the SAKE TASTING VENDING MACHINE!!
The sake tasting vending machines are inside the train station in a place called Ponshukan. There are 120 different sakes to try.
SAKE TASTING VENDING MACHINE SYSTEM:
500 yen gets you a cup and 5 coins.
1 coin can fill the cup once.
When finished, return the sake cup.
The drinking age in Japan is 20 year old.
Getting to Echigo Yuzawa Station:
The JOETSU Shinkansen / bullet train departs from Tokyo and Ueno Stations every 20 minutes from 6am to 10pm.
It takes 80 minutes to travel the 180km to the center of the Japanese alps.
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ShdTVWgs5JN2
The Tokyo Wide Pass Information:
* It replaced the Kanto Pass in 2015
* You must be non-Japanese and hold a foreign passport
* Residents and Tourists can purchase it in Japan at JR Pass Offices. There is one in Tokyo Station Marunouchi NORTH Exit.
* Good for 3 consecutive days of travel for 10,000 yen
* Not valid on the Tokaido Shinkansen and only valid in limited areas about 150-200km from Tokyo.
More Info: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/
Feelin Good by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/…)
Hammock Fight by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/…)
This show has been created and produced by John Daub ジョン・ドーブ. He’s been living and working in Japan for over 18 years and regularly reports on TV for Japan’s International Channel.